May 28, 2012

Deep In The Heart of Texas

Last week I ventured down to the one and only Dallas, TX for the Mended Little Hearts national convention. Travelling sans baby and husband was much easier, but it also made for a looooonnngggg flight. I'm pretty sure it took about 19 hours to get to Fort Worth International from SFO (ok so it was only 4). Anyways, I was quite nervous to leave my guys for four days, but once I got to Dallas and realized how busy we were going to be over the next few days (and nights), I was able to relax and focus on all the awesome new people I was going to meet and of course lots of leadership training for MLH.

The training was great. I learned so much about the organization, and about Congenital Heart Defects. Did you know that more children die each year from a CHD, than from all forms of childhood cancers combined? And about 1 in 110 babies are born with a CHD? Pretty scary stuff. As sad as these facts are, it is so great to be a part of a group that is working so hard to spread awareness, advocacy and support for this extremely worthy cause. 

It was kind of surreal for me to be among so many "heart moms". Being a CHD survivor myself, I loved hearing everyone's stories, and being able to tell mine. Some stories were happy, some were heartbreaking, but all were powerful and inspiring. 

It wasn't all business though. Remember, most of the participants of the convention are busy moms and wives, and being away from home/husbands/kids meant it was time to blow off some steam and let a little loose! After the meetings were done each day it was time to hit the town, Dallas style! We enjoyed delicious BBQ at Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse, went (mechanical) bull riding at Trophy Room, experienced some real cowboy line dancing at Cowboys Red River, and somewhere along the way we were able to get our own limo driver for the weekend! xxoo
Our Mended Hearts logo in the lobby of the Hyatt, Dallas                                                                                                                                                                                              
Me and our Silicon Valley lead coordinator, Andrea
That's a nice pair of hooters! - Outside of Hooters in Dallas      
Just a few of the awesome ladies I met. I'm already excited to see them all again  next year!
With our limo driver, Coley and the stretch Hummer limo!

No comments: