March 6, 2009

My Life As A Housewife

Well it's been 2 weeks since I was laid off (wow, seems like much longer than that!) and I think I am finally settling in to not working (for now). It's definitely true what they say, "The grass is always greener on the other side"... Three weeks ago, I was complaining daily about my job, and wishing to the high heavens that I didn't have to work, and could just do stuff around my house all day... Then I got laid off and I instantly wished I could take it back.

I spent the first week of unemployment searching for open positions and sending in my resume like a mad woman. I was super restless and honestly could not believe I didn't have a job. As someone who has been working since I was 14, I was just beside myself. I am also someone who, in recent years, has developed issues with anxiety/depression, and I just know that it would be so easy for me to fall into sleeping all day and feeling sorry for myself. So, early last week as I was thinking about all of my free time, I decided that I cannot let that happen. I want to take advantage of this time off, however long or short it may be, and make the best of this situation. I made a deal with myself, and with God (yes, I am a pray-er), that if I can get through this and be happy, and be productive, then I would eventually be rewarded with a great job at a company I love, making the money I deserve. Sounds silly, but whatever helps me get through, right? Right.

So far it has worked. This week has been going by pretty slow, but I have to say, its amazing how busy you can be, even without being in an office 40 hours a week. I've been going to the gym *almost* everyday, running errands, doing housework, reading, and making myself NOT watch TV until the evening (with the exception of when I'm eating breakfast in the morning). Plus, Jose now has Thurs, Fri and Saturdays off (although he is working overtime today), so we have been able to spend a lot of time together, which I am absolutely loving!!!! So what if we don't have $$? Money can't buy happiness, and I think it's time I finally learned that.

Of course, I am still looking for a job, and have made sure to search everyday and apply to every job I find (that I want). Next week I'll start on some follow ups, to see if I can budge someone a little and get an interview! Until then, every cloud has its silver lining, and I think I have definitely found mine :) ♥ Cheers!

3 comments:

Corincredible said...

I'm so glad you've found your silver lining. I've been thinking about you. You definitely have the right attitude!

Holly said...

AWW nicole!! i love this post. youre right, money def doesnt buy happiness, im so happy you have your husband back and have all this time to spend together. cherish it :)

Leslie said...

You're on the right track Nicole. Keep busy and stay positive!