September 30, 2008

Goodbye, Old House

My parents moved out of their house in San Ramon this weekend. Sad day. They are going to be renting a house in San Martin, and although they still own the SR house (they're going to be renting it out), it still causes a stir of emotion and nostalgia. Saturday night we went over there as they were packing and loading up the Budget truck. It was my dad's birthday and Jose and I stopped by for some pizza and cake. As we sat around the empty dining room with our paper plates, someone announced "This is the last family dinner in this house". That spun me into all sorts of memories in that house. Having "family dinners" (which was a special thing, since my brothers and I usually had to eat in the kitchen), watching movies in the family room, playing outside with the neighborhood kids, sneaking in far too late night after night in high school (hehe), all of the pets that have come through that house, the boyfriends, girlfriends and best friends that have been over to hang out, the parties (both with and without parental supervision), lounging around on a hot summer day, sleep overs, driving my parents crazy, building forts, sibling shenanigans.... I could go on and on forever.

I know it seems like I shouldn't have any attachments, since I'm married now and haven't lived at home in over four years, but I guess it's just the thought that I no longer have a home in San Ramon. AND there are going to be strange people living there, which I can't really wrap my head around. But I guess life goes on, and so must my parents. And the house they are going to live in now is perfect for them... A nice little 3 bedroom house on 2 acres of land, where the dogs will have plenty of room to run around, and my mom can have her horse there (and chickens and goats)... And who knows, maybe someday they'll move back to the good 'ole SRV. Until then, it was a very good house. If those walls could talk! ;) Jose and I in the SR house.. The first night we were officially bf/gf

XOXO,
Nikki

3 comments:

Holly said...

great blog!! i remember at one sleepover there we all got in a sleeping bag and "slid" (more like BUMP BUMP BUMP) down the stairs!!!!

Heather said...

OMG I know how you feel, my mom just moved out of our house and renters just moved in (moving to her property too) So sad when the family home is gone

Cyn said...

Makes me sad bc I've been calling it home for 6 months now... Tear...